Monday 8 September 2014

Perfection/Pressure from the Media

Hi! 

BEFORE YOU READ note that I my opinion on this topic may be seen as controversial so please don't get angry with me! I'm obviously open to constructive and coherent responses but don't comment anything super aggressive or whatever, I just want to voice an opinion on a topic that interests me, thank you! 

Magazines and companies are constantly being bombarded with complaints about the choice of models for their issues/campaigns and how it puts pressure on people to be perfect and that the images used are unrealistic. Most people would agree with that, but my view is slightly different. 

For this though, I'm not necessarily referencing arguments about the need to use more plus sized models as that's almost a totally different debate - but I may touch on it. Generally, my opinion can be summarised by a quote from Alexandra Schulman (editor-in-chief, Vogue UK) on the topic: 
‘I think Vogue is a magazine that’s all about fantasy to some extent and dreams, and an escape from real life. ... People don’t want to buy a magazine like Vogue to see what they see when they look in the mirror. They can do that for free.’

For some people this quote may be hard to accept but, personally, I can see total sense in it! Realistically, do you buy high end magazines such as Vogue to look at potential purchases for next season? Unless you're unbelievably rich or in denial the answer will be no, you look at it for either inspiration from designer brands that you can incorporate into your high street wardrobe or to admire the almost unrealistically perfect models and the laughably expensive accessories (we can all dream, right?). Vogue is a fantasy magazine and I read it to imagine my ideal life and ideal face, but I don't let the images get to me. I know that's easier said than done but it takes getting comfortable with yourself and the way you look and learning to know that you look good to be able to accept the unattainable 'perfection' in Vogue or clothing campaigns. 

Furthermore, the industries of fashion and media are all about aesthetics so why would they not want the most aesthetically pleasing models selling their products for them? Now that I've learned to accept my flaws and good qualities, I enjoy looking at beautiful people just to appreciate it (creepy sounding but I mean well). 

Advertising is another area that is criticised for it's use of 'perfect' models that make the general public feel bad about themselves, but I think: why would they not use the people everyone wants to be to sell their clothes? That's one of the biggest tricks of fashion advertising their is - creating appeal by giving the impression of the perfect life that comes with their products. It's about marketing and business, not evoking self-loathing. 

So overall, even if you don't agree with me hopefully you can get one thing out of this post and that is if you learn to love yourself and become totally comfortable with all you are, the so called 'pressure of perfection' from the media doesn't affect you as much by a long stretch.

That's all I'm going to leave you with, food for thought hopefully? I know this isn't my most concise or coherent post I just had a lot of ideas I wanted to get out at once. 

Have a lovely day

No comments:

Post a Comment